Suffering for Christ‘s Sake

Today (September 24, 2009) is the 250 anniversary of the birth of Charles Simeon. You can read more about his life here, or here. I listened to a sermon on his life several weeks ago for the first time, and was blessed by it. The following quote really struck me. A friend of Charles Simeon asked him how he managed to overcome and continue to serve God faithfully in the midst of adversities. Simeon said this:

“My dear brother, we must not mind a little suffering for Christ's sake. When I am getting through a hedge, if my head and shoulders are safely through, I can bear the pricking of my legs. Let us rejoice in the remembrance that our holy Head has surmounted all His suffering and triumphed over death. Let us follow Him patiently; we shall soon be partakers of His victory” (H.C.G. Moule, Charles Simeon, London: InterVarsity, 1948, 155f.).

Speaking of the church, Christ is “the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God” (Colossians 2:19).

In your suffering, remember Christ.

0 comments:

Blog design by Chad Karding